Cycling Training Progress Chart - Update
I’ve just been browsing through Zappoman’s archives (I know - so much time on my hands), and found that he seemed to really like my idea of a cycling progress wall chart, even going so far as to suggest that it could be monitored via a webcam. I’m not quite that tech-savvy, but I have created a new page for my progress chart, which I’ll update at least fortnightly (i.e. in line with my training periodicity).
Here’s a thumbnail of the chart as it is now. The key details are:
- Left-hand scale is each fortnight’s progress, shown as a bar chart
- I’ve added some detail here - road miles are in yellow, spin miles are in green.
- Right hand scale is the year’s cumulative progress, plotted as a line. For now, I’m not counting the spin miles on this, so I’ll have a corrective ’step’ in the line some time later in the year.
- I’ve also got the target cumulative progress line that I should be hitting if I’m to be consistent in my training.
- Note the ‘deliberate’ mistake on this - it says that my target for the year is 300 miles . . . I passed that last weekend, but I’m not taking the rest of the year off!
I’m expecting to under-perform quite badly in the next fortnight - busy as hell this week, plus a grotty weather forecast. And next week, we’re all away to visit my wife’s parents in France (Google map image here - how cool is Google Maps!? It now includes sub-sea features, and when you zoom in, the arrow’s within 20 yards of my in-laws’ house). Since we’re flying Ryanair (there’s low cost, no frills flying . . . and then there’s the so-tight-that-they-squeak-when-they-walk airlines), the bike’s got to stay at home. I wonder if I can get a baby-sitter to look after him for the week……?