WHAT have I volunteered myself for?
We had some friends round for dinner on Saturday, and we got into a conversation about fitness. One of the women at the table said she’d really like to be fit (to which I of course replied, “well, you’re not such a bad looker . . .” - can’t take me anywhere more than once), so we started talking about what that would mean, trying to express it in terms of more concrete goals, rather than vague terms . . .
. . . anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up volunteering to help her get fit, based around a goal of a 55 minute 10k. There are only one or two problems with this:
- Unlike Lisa, I’m not a coach, or personal trainer.
- I have no experience of getting other people fit.
- I’m not a doctor either, so I worry I might just kill my friend.
- My ‘base’ fitness level tends to be quite high - even after a year of slouching around eating pizza & drinking beer. I’ve no experience of how far down other people go.
- We’ve arranged our first session for Tuesday at 06:30, which is only 14 hours away!