The Lost Continent
So on Thursday we decided to go for broke, and get from Courchevel to the valley beyond Val Thorens. It was like visiting the land that time forgot. I’ve been going into far too much detail on these trips, so here are the highlights:
- We took the brand new Cime Caron cable car over into this new valley. Fortunately it was the Man With Metal Teeth’s day off.
- The black Combe Rosaël was a novel twist on challenging. Very steep, and really quite bumpy.
- We got to the Sommet des Pistes - 3230m above sea level.
- We made it all the way back home, getting almost the last ride up on the Coqs chairlift after a rush down Combe Saulire (red), in fading light that made it impossible to see the bumps before you skied right over them.
- We then took the Col de la Loze lift up to the restaurant for a celebratory vin chaude. Unfortunately we had to rush this, as the pisteurs were hustling people off the mountain. So the only choice was to head home via the most direct route before the vin chaude started to make our decisions for us - Dou des Lanches (black), before an excursion through the woods. So very picturesque, and so lengthy . . . Tall Friend was definitely in trouble with Mrs Tall Friend by the time we got home!
- Type: Other
- Date: 01/17/2008
- Total Time: 6:00:00.00
- Approximate distance skied: 34 miles