Things I did:
- Rode 3,838 miles. For a while I thought I was going to get to 4,000. But the December snow put paid to that!
- Ran 600 miles.
- Swam 73km - all in the first half of the year.
- Completed an Ironman. The idea was to do the whole “Swim 2.4 miles! Bike 112 miles! Run 26.2 miles! Brag about it for the rest of your life!” thing. But the completely out of fuel, long dark teatime of the soul that I suffered on the run (miles 10-14) made it somewhat of a Pyrrhic victory. The cost was too high for me to really want to celebrate it to its full. There’s probably unfinished business here, and I’m wondering about a return match in 2012.
- Rode my third Dunwich Dynamo, once again as Captain on a Very Smart Tandem. Von Smallhaussen performed admirably as the Stoker.
- Ran in the North Shields Poly’s Grand Prix race series . . . and our team came first!
- Rode to work quite a lot. I did half of my total mileage in the first half of the year - mostly big weekend training rides of between 80 & 100 miles. But then I rode pretty much as far again between 1st September and the end of December.
Things I didn’t do:
- Ride Coast-to-Coast. I had two dates for this lined up, and it just didn’t happen.
- Get elected to the CTC’s National Council. I’ll probably have another go at that in three years’ time.
Things to do in 2011:
- Coast-to-Coast… FOUR times. I’d like to do this on each of the equinoxes and each of the solstices. Call me a hippie!
- Ride an extended Dunwich Dynamo. The thinking is to start in Cambridge on Saturday morning; ride the 50 or so miles to London; sleep in the afternoon; ride the 120 miles to Dunwich overnight; have a kip on the beach; ride the 80 or so miles back to Cambridge on Sunday afternoon.
- Ride Lands End to John O’Groats. This is a biggie that’ll take some organising. I’m thinking a fortnight off work in either the middle of July, or September…
- Ride to work a whole lot more. I’m going to target 80% of the time, which makes 186 days in 2011.
- Run the London Marathon - Tall Robbie managed to get us a pair of guaranteed entries!
- Maybe also run the Amsterdam Marathon again…
- Be more active in cycle campaigning - I want Whitley Bay to be a 20mph town.