Friday Caption Contest - Sponsored By The AA
First up - congratulations to Jim Davis for his winning entry to last week’s caption contest. His observation that the Raleigh Grifter had a long and painful development process that saw much of its purist refinements stripped out before S.O.P. hit the nail on the head. We’ll be sending Jim his very own time machine just as soon as that order we placed for one on Amazon in 2123 arrives.
For this week’s competition, we have this picture. The photo was supplied by Twitter user Peter Reed (@Tlatet), who also writes about ridding the world of grumpy old men (no - not like in Logan’s Run):
Your task this week is to come up with a slogan that shows why these are just the sort of items you need to wear 97% of the time. Perhaps you could also tell us why they’ll do about as much good as a chocolate fireguard for the other 3%. Sarcasm, profanity and blasphemy will be considered as acceptable parts of your answers this week, though for the sake of my Daughter’s innocence, I reserve the right to overtype certain words with stars. You know - words like h*lmet.
One lucky winner will receive a prize¹ that I just know you ALL want:
Several buckets of tar, a sack of feathers, and Edmund King (the AA’s president & AA Charitable Trust director) delivered pre-trussed to your front door by me and Tom Bailey.
Because although a poll can show that 97% of motorists want cyclists to wear helmets, perhaps a better question would be to ask how this would protect you when you’re hit by several tons of metal doing 50-70mph? Or how will it protect you when a lorry drives over you? Or will it make drivers give you more room when they overtake you?
The answer to all these questions is a resounding “no” - but you already knew that, didn’t you?
¹Remember - unlike the damage to drivers’ perceptions of what’s safe on the roads, all our prizes are virtual.