What Keeps A Bike Upright?
Clever maths and physics seems to be the answer:
For practical purposes, this is how I explain it to adults I’m teaching to ride:
- Steering is what keeps a bike upright
- If you’re falling to the right, you need to steer to the right
- This is completely counterintuitive
- But if you make a turn that’s slightly tighter than the extent to which you’re falling, the centrifugal force you generate will pull the bike upright
- It’s just a matter of learning to sense very slight deviations from upright, and apply very slight steer-in corrections to these
It seems to work - I can get most people riding within about 15-20 minutes.