Is It Me?
I’m starting to wonder if I’m the bloody problem. It seems that every time I go out on the bloody road, at some point in the journey, some bloody driver is going to bloody well try to kill me.
In the last few weeks I’ve had innumerable vehicles pass so close that I can tell what brand of shampoo the driver uses, had busses pull out in front of me, had cars abort overtaking me at the last second at traffic islands, had a driver brake test me (and then get REALLY ANGRY when I touch his car to fend off from scraping my bike down his gleaming paintwork), watched in horror as the learner driver overtaking me was himself overtaken by a car from a rival driving school, had passengers shout at me to get on the path, and pedestrians telling me to get on the road.
Seriously, it’s been really shit.
A bit like this from Monkeynutscom on Youtube:
I’m starting to ponder my options:
- Tool up with cameras? Don’t get mad, get evidence?
- Tool up in line with the obvious Mad Max nature of the roads? Probably not a good idea - riding in a leather jacket & trousers would be very sweaty
- Forget all that Vee-hicular Bicycling rubbish? It’s supposed to be a survival strategy, but to be honest I’m not sure it’s working. From now on, should I ride like a timid gutter bunny?
- Ignore it all as just a random throw of the dice. Like that time I rolled five straight sixes, but nobody saw.
- Sell my bikes and drive a car. I’ll spend a shed load of cash to get fat and die young. But at least I won’t spend my life in an advanced state of terror.
- Find out if David Hembrow has a spare room? I’m sure that with practice I could learn to weave baskets for him…